Durable Medical Equipment (DME) is any equipment that provides therapeutic benefits to a patient in need because of certain medical conditions and/or illnesses.
Durable Medical Equipment (DME) consists of items which:
- are primarily and customarily used to serve a medical purpose;
- are not useful to a person in the absence of illness or injury;
- are ordered or prescribed by a physician;
- are reusable;
- can stand repeated use, and
- are appropriate for use in the home.
DME includes, but is not limited to:
- Wheelchairs (manual and electric),
- Traction equipment
Durable medical equipment may be covered when All of the following criteria are met:
- The equipment provides therapeutic benefit to a patient in need because of certain medical conditions and/or illnesses
- The DME is prescribed by a licensed provider
- The DME does not serve primarily as a comfort or convenience item
- The equipment does not have significant non-medical uses (e.g., environmental control equipment, air conditioners, air filters, humidifiers).
Call for more information and supply orders: